Wednesday, 26 September 2012
RECIPE: FAT MAC N' CHEESE
There are many roads leading to the path of obesity, but perhaps none so definitive as via the Mac 'n' Cheese route. Pure, unadulterated gluttony at its finest.
So, here's my take on the Fat Person's Favourite:
Macaroni pasta (enough for 2/3 people)
1 chopped onion
1 tbsp flour
2 cups of milk
Slab of butter
2 tbsp Philadelphia cream cheese
1/2 cup strong white Cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
1 tsp mustard powder
2 slices of very thick cut roast ham (not the slimy packet ham, I mean proper hunks cut from a carcass in the deli), chopped into chunks
Salt and pepper
1. Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry the onions over a low heat for a few minutes until soft. Melt the butter in at the same time
2. In a separate pan cook pasta according to pack instructions, drain and put to one side
3. In a cup using a fork, or in a bowl using a whisker, whisk the milk, flour, mustard powder together then add to the pan of onions and continue to whisk gently over a low heat for a minute or so. Bring to the boil slowly, continuing to stir, and add in the various assortment of cheeses and the ham chunks.
4. Add the sauce to the pasta and mix well, season with salt & pepper, then transfer to a baking dish.
5. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top along with some more grated Cheddar and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Serve with garlic bread for mopping up the sauce.
Your heart attack will be delivered in 4-6 years.